Re: (lith) film & pyro

Cor Breukel (cor@ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl)
Fri, 29 May 1998 11:42:26 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Sandy King wrote:

> >Cyanotype!), Ziatype and Albumine. As stated before on this list: the
> >stain means an added proportional density under UV.
> >

> Cor,
>

> In that a PYRO stain is not proportional to the silver densities, but is
> least in areas of low density, and greatest in areas of high density, your
> statement that the "stain means an added proportional density under UV" is
> somewhat confusing. To what is the stain proportional?
>

> Sandy King

..sorry to cause confusion: it is as you say: stain is the least on low
density and greatest on high density: but isn't that the same than
saying proportional to the silver density (more silver=more stain; silver
+ stain=extra density under UV, no so much under enlarger-light (I have
never enlarged a Pyro. neg, but that's what I understand from others)

And I should add: Pyro negs need longer exposure times (roughly about
1/2-1 stop more for Ziatype, 1-2 stops more for Cyanotype)

Cor Breukel

http://ruly70.medfac.leidenuniv.nl/~cor/cor.html
"The Infrared Gallery"
http://ruly70.medfac.leidenuniv.nl/~cor/ir-gallery.html