Re: Dr. Perera

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Sat, 30 May 1998 19:17 +0000

> Dear Peter,
>
> Can you tell me more about Dr.Perera's two processes? I know something
> about the heliochrome process he sells, but I was unaware he had a
> second process as well. Is it similar? An improvement? Is it also for
> sale? If so, where can I get some?
>
> By the way, I'm with you on the points you so eloquently stated in your
> recent posting. One constant of life is that some people just plain
> don't get along with certain other people. So what? This list is a great
> resource and it's truly sad that some people are so blinded by their
> impressions of others. It only gets in the way of what is otherwise a
> truly great exchange of ideas.
>
> John
>
> P.S. I will be using a couple of your kallitypes in the book. I'll know
> which one or ones made it shortly. Thanks again for letting me use
> them.

Pleased to hear that last thing John - I'd wondered how you were getting
on.

The heliochrome is no longer on sale. Partly at least I think because he
considers it too primitive. I'll bring heaps of hot coals down on my head
from both Dunstan and the gum mandarins by saying it produced results that
looked rather like gums.

The latest work has I think been in a number of shows and awards; he is
printing for quite a few very well-known UK photographers in
fashion/advertising etc.

He has invested a lot of time and effort in the development of the
process. I was really impressed by the work I saw. It is available on
exactly the same basis that Fresson has always been - you need to take
your work to him and pay for the print. I think in every other respect
they are probably superior to Fresson, though I suspect that kind of look
could be created using this process.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/