RE: a question

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 12 May 1998 22:50:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Herold Faulkner wrote:

> You are correct in your assumption of elemental silver, but control is
> another matter. Over used developer is the starting point. Beyond that
> you're on your own. In an earlier thread, Judy expressed an interest in the
> effect, so as you perfect your technique I'm certain she would welcome a
> submission to the P-F Journal.

You bet... Actually, for a long time I did silver gelatin toning with a
process of plating out silver... You can do this with Halochrome (sold
commercially) although I was mixing my own. Knowing my interest in the
plating out phenomenon, people brought me *tantalizing* samples, often
exactly as Judith describes, 2 days old from the wastebasket. A while
back someone on the list said he knew someone who had gotten the
manifestation she describes under control, but the contact didn't
materialize.

You see something similar (I think!) in the plating out of shadows in old
photographs. And, as I recall, David Esterhazy (is that the name?) did
something along those lines with Polaroid positive-negative film. I think
that's on his Web page.(RIT). I've certainly seen those discarded
Polaroid negatives get quite silvery, but don't know of anyone getting a
real handle on it.

For what it's worth, the impression is that small amounts of fixer
accelerate the process..

But for sure, it's gorgeous... oh so many games to play, so little time..

Let us know if you get there, Judith.

cheers,

Judy