RE: Digital Negative Drum Scans and costs

Valburg (lkv1@psu.edu)
Wed, 13 May 1998 13:45:34 -0400

At 10:18 AM 5/13/98 -0700, Kerik Kouklis wrote:
>The problem with a PhotoCD scan is size limitation. If you are using
>David Fokos' approach to digital negs (450 dpi image files), the largest
>neg you will get from a ProPhotoCD scan is about 9.5x11 inches (unless
>you upsize in Photoshop, which is usually not a good idea, according to
>David's instructions).

Kerik,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ProPhoto CD scanning yields a file of about 65
MB, which should yield a print of 16x20 at 450dpi, no? 65MB is about 7.2k
x 9k pixels, divided by 450 ppi = 16"x20".

Regards,
Mitch Valburg