Re: Potassium Oxalate Hazards (fwd) -Forwarded

Michael J. Coslo (mjc5@psu.edu)
Fri, 15 May 1998 08:55:36 -0500

Richard Sullivan wrote in part:

>The problem is that the terminology is so imprecise. Poisonous or toxic
>doesn't really mean much on the surface. What really bothers me are the
>more insidious chemicals that cause cancer and mutations and lurk in your
>body for years and years and then take a whack at you. Lead, cadmium,
>selenium, arsenic, etc. Those fellows are sneaky.

While we are on the subject, I was told at one time that I was
probably suffering from the effects of multiple chemical exposure. (ahh,
maybe that is my problem) The route was mostly inhalation, with some skin
exposure. Although no one chemical was at a high level, the combination of
low levels seemed to create a problem. I was skeptical, but this info came
from an official inspector, and the changes we made cured my problems. So
especially if you deal in many processes, it is wise to limit exposure as
much as is practical, because even with what seems like reasonable care,
you can get nailed sometimes.

>I have no fear of tasting oxalic acid and I've done it on occasion to
>determine if it is oxalic acid or citric acid and only if I know that is
>the only two options.

I just have to ask Dick, what does oxalic acid taste like?

- Mike -