Re: Researching Patents

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 19 May 1998 12:47:48 -0700

At 03:13 PM 5/19/98 -0400, Bob Szabo wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone on the list has any knowledge about resaerching
>patents.
>
>Living near DC I was going to go to the patent office to research patents
>for Ferrotype plates.
>
>Do you think they would give formulas for the japaning process. And also
>baking techniques?
>
> I bake my own plates now and have all the formulas from Silver Sunbeam,
>Ferrotype and How to Make It, etc... but would like to see how the
>commercial makers made them.
>

>Best Regards,
>
>Bob Szabo
>rjs@cwreenactors.com
>Civil War Photography
>http://www.cwreenactors.com/collodion
>Civil War Reenactors Home Page
>http://www.cwreenactors.com

I should add to my previous post that the discussion of a patent or it
use in an experimental basis is certainly not restricted. The discussion
of a trade secret would be restricted only for those who have been
entrusted with the secret by its holder. However, someone who has been
given the secret is under a legal obligation to protect it. Thus, we can
speculate all we want on how exactly Coca-Cola is made, unless one is an
employee or former employee of the company, and in a position to actually
know.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.