Re: Two Color, Full Color and Dr. Land

Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Thu, 21 May 1998 17:43:19 -0400 (EDT)

What you witnessed was a demonstration of Land's Retinex theory
(though Land was by no means the first to demonstrate the effect).
Here are a few references; by no means a complete list. If you were
to do a search of the WWW you would find a lot of material on Retinex
theory because of the potential applications in digital imaging.

-- Land, Edwin H. "Experiments in Color Vision." SciAm, May 1959,
pgs 84-99.

-- "Living Color." Scientific American 248(5):90, May 1983.

-- Geschwind, Norman and John R. segal. "Colors of All Hues from
Binocular Mixing of Two Colors." SCIENCE, Vol 131, February 1960, pg
608.

-- "News & Views: Seeing in colour." Nature Vol. 300, Nov 18, 1982,
pg 220.