[Fwd: sheesh]

Gene Laughter (glaughter@earthlink.net)
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 06:33:45 -0400

... part of a calculated campaign? Laughable! Re-sheesh!

Gene
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 22:44:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
Subject: sheesh
To: Gene Laughter <glaughter@earthlink.net>

On Sun, 31 May 1998, Gene Laughter wrote:

> Does anyone else find it rather ironic and disconcerting that the
> organizer of the most important Alternative Photography event to be held
> this year (and last) has been banned from the very group that supposedly
> is THE resource for information on Alternative Photography? And, we must
> now contact him off list.
>
> Sheesh!

Speaking of "sheesh!" Gene, did you perhaps notice WHY Terry was ousted --
for continued savage, unrepentant, unprovoked obloquy, character
assassination and blatant lies, directed, it's true, at someone ELSE, not
you or your cronies, and a woman at that, but nevertheless quite
demoralizing and harmful to the "very group that supposedly is THE
resource for information on Alternative Photography"?

Have you, I wonder, ever withstood such a barrage? Perhaps you didn't
notice some of the commentary at the time. One man, for instance, active
in electronic communication since 1981, wrote that he had NEVER seen such
abuse of one person by another, that the cost not just to me but to the
list was unprecedented.

This "sheesh" on your part seems disingenuous at best, rather part of a
calculated campaign, for reasons best known to the participants, to undo
the will of the group and reinstate Terry. Do you seriously think there
would be any "list" left if such behavior were not sanctioned? Did you
miss the manner in which it put the list in an uproar, despite the fact
that I did not once reply? Did you notice that many of the most thoughtful
subscribers were demoralized, withdrawing from participation, even leaving
the list themselves? Apparently departure of good citizens, not rogues,
concerns you very little...

Frankly, I'm surprised at the belated concern for Terry's presence.
Has it occurred to you that it might have been better to counsel him at
the time to cool it? You surely cannot think that the campaign to
demonize his ouster, the pressure to reinstate him, is *good* for "the
list."

And speaking of "ironic and disconcerting," this determined continuation
of the trauma is ironic and disconcerting to the majority. Such
provocative intrusions take advantage of the general desire for peace, the
wish to recover goodwill and rebuild. For the good of "the list," most
people will refrain from the rebuke you deserve.

Sheesh, indeed!

Judy