Re: Fresson and Dr Dunstan Perera

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 21:03 +0000

> >informative on a whole range of subjects, including the reasons why he
> is
> >not willing to cooperate with certain people, which I can only respect.
>
> I certainly agree with the last part of your sentence but I'll remind
> you
> that his (Perera) only "contribution" to this list has been his
> *objection*
> to people trying to understand other's processes. I don't remember
> seeing a
> single line of technical advice. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, of course you are wrong - not only in this but in most of the
deleted remainder of your post, some of which I consider an abuse of this
list.

Dunstan posted to the list to correct a misapprehension about his process.

If I understand him he is very much in favour of people putting in the
work to understand how processes work and to further develop them. His
advice to go the patent office and research contradicts what you suggest.
I think he does feel strongly that people should not expect to get
something given them on a plate without any effort on their part.

My own position in relation to this list is clear. I've always had a
passionate belief in the value of sharing and working with others which
has shaped much of my life and which I thought was the reason for
existence of a list such as this. I feel this list ought (and once used to
be) a model of collaboration and co-operation but is being used by some
people in a quite different way. I'm saddened by various things that have
happened both on list and also related to it off list. Appalled by the
behaviour of some people both in public and even more so in private.

No, I'm not an apologist for anyone.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/