Re: paper negatives

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 03 Jun 1998 17:08:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Henk Thijs wrote:

> I found in the archives the advice -by Judy- to make paper negatives more
> transparent by ironing parrafine on the back of the paper.

Actually Henk, we did this in class on just plain copier paper from the
copy machine, calling it "waxed xerox" -- a quick & easy way to get any
kind of image from anywhere into contact printing size for "non-silver." A
copy of a positive makes a positive, but the waxed paper contacted to lith
film makes a nice, random-dot looking negative.

Nowadays of course you can make a laser print on that same lightweight
plain paper (page 7 of P-F shows a tricolor gum made from laser printer
negatives waxed), & it can be negative as easily as positive.

Did you try any times for plain copier paper? My rough recollection is
that students' times were about 1/3 to 1/2 longer than "regular"
negatives.... not that there's any hurry...

> For Mike Wares cyanotype and a tanning bed from a garage sale I needed:
> - 6 min. for a transparant copy from the RC Ilford neg.
> - 30 min with a parrafine Kentmere paper neg.
> - 60 min with a parrafine Ilford FB paper neg.
> - 2 hours for an Ilford RC paper neg.
> All necessary info I found in the Alt-photo archives via a search machine
> -www.hotbot.com-on INTERNET, also the peeling , I think it was Pete making the
> explanation.

But I always thought "hotbot.com-on" was a porn address.... hmmmm...

cheers,

Judy