Re: paper negatives

janet neuhauser (jneuhauser@silverlink.net)
Wed, 03 Jun 1998 20:54:32 -0700

greene earl mcalan wrote:

> I have tried using RC paper for paper negatives (Ilford's do not have the
> detestable brand name mark on the backside) but I still prefer a single
> weight fiber paper anytime. There is much more latitude with regard to
> both exposure and development (RC paper being rather static). Also, if you
> are prone to cutting down your negatives to irregular formats, as I am,
> the RC paper yields an undesirable fuzzy/soft edge, as opposed to the
> sharp/crisp edge of the single-weight fiber paper. Any soft-working
> developer will work. Subject tonal values should also be constricted
> somewhat.

Freestyle in Los Angeles has sold a single weight fiber paper called Arista which makes an
excellent paper negative. It is a graded paper. As of this past fall, Arista was discontinuing this
wonderful paper but Freestyle still had a lot left in 8 x 10 and 5 x 7. The exposures are quick,
and the paper is quite beautiful

janet neuhauser