Re: ending the conflict (was Re: Fresson and Dr Dunstan Perera)

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sat, 06 Jun 1998 22:23:27 -0300

At 1:25 AM -0700 98/06/06, Keith Schreiber wrote:
>On 6/1/98, Luis Nadeau wrote:
>
>... snip
>>Not only that but you will also understand those on this list who didn't
>want me >to act the way I did when I decided to put an end to the Judy-Terry
>conflict (i.e.,
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>"conditioning and association," pp. 188-190).
>snip ...
>
>The above quote has been bothering me for days. The colorful expression
>"hoisted by his own petard" comes to mind. How silly of me (and maybe
>others) to believe that it was really Gordon who made that difficult (and
>yes, still questionable) decision.

The only part that is silly is that you assume you know everything about
the conflict. What you saw on this list was a fraction of what took place.
This is typical of people who watch a "documentary" on television (or
worse, a 30-second segment) and then consider themselves "experts" in a
position to make a judgment.

>It is doubtful that banishing (silencing) one of the combatants has really
>put an end to the conflict in a meaningful way.

Those who know more have no doubts whatsoever.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/