Re: ending the conflict

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sun, 07 Jun 1998 13:20:42 -0300

At 2:37 AM -0700 98/06/07, Keith Schreiber wrote:
>Luis wrote:
>>The only part that is silly is that you assume you know everything about
>>the conflict. What you saw on this list was a fraction of what took place.
>>This is typical of people who watch a "documentary" on television (or
>>worse, a 30-second segment) and then consider themselves "experts" in a
>>position to make a judgment.
>
>Luis,
>This is exactly the condescending know-it-all world's-leading-expert
>attitude that I find so annoying whether it comes from Terry or you or
>whoever.

You want me to lie and tell you you are the expert on this issue? This is
not my style, so you are out of luck.

>I did not assume that I know everything about the conflict. I am well aware
>that what was played out publicly on the list was probably just the tip of
>the iceberg. In fact, that was precisely why I have kept silent until now.
>
>The hostility with which anyone daring to voice a dissenting opinion on this
>matter has been met is much more disturbing to me than was the original
>conflict. If I was privy to what was going on behind the scene I might feel
>differently.

If you are expecting a blow-by-blow account, involving tons of private
offlist emails, you won't get it from me. My patience has run out on this
and I refuse to be a hypocrite. If you ask me what I think, you will hear
what I think if I choose to answer and if you confuse disagreement with
hostility, tough. I'm not in the mood to butter up anything regarding this
issue. I spent enough late evenings, 'til 3 and 4:00 in the morning to fix
this.

>But I wasn't and I don't. The outright meanness with which some
>people responded to posts from Leticia Mora, David Milton, Jack Fulton, and
>more recently Gene Laughter and Peter Marshall (those are just the ones I
>remember right now) is at least as destructive as anything that Terry King
>has wrought.

If this is your perception I think we will have to agree to disagree. Of
course you just admitted that you are only aware of the "tip of the
iceberg". You are beginning to sound like Peter Marshall who told me in a
private email that (I paraphrase) Judy was basically as bad as Terry. Give
me a break! I won't even waste time to discuss this.

>Before you accuse me of being a sympathiser or apologist for Terry, I'd like
>to remind you that I too have been on the receiving end of one of his
>tirades (a year or 2 ago when I questioned his derogatory and bigoted use of
>the word "anorak" which seems to have a peculiarly British slang meaning not
>shared on this side of the Atlantic). But making a scapegoat of him will not
>keep this group free of conflict for very long. There are others here who
>are just as contentious, if not more so.

Since 1993 when I first got on the net, the only *serious* conflict I have
seen on photo lists had the name Terry associated to it. He is gone and so
are the serious conflicts.

>I'll end with a quote from Dr.. Seuss: "Oh the things we think we know that
>are not so." (I think this applies to all of us.)

This definitely applies to those who are only familiar with the tip of the
iceberg, those who are new to this list, those who have never made an RC
print, those who don't know what an RC print is, and those who have been on
this list for years but choose not to follow serious issues before they
pass judgment.

This is simply my opinion. Nobody has to agree.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/