Re: Re : Judy Seigel's post on RC

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 07 Jun 1998 16:31:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Jack Fulton wrote:

> Judy was/is correct re seperating the resin coating (RC) from the paper
> … however, a very simple manner to do so is the trick of placing the
> print in rather warm water. Temperature is not important, just make sure
> is is much wrmer than your body temp but not hot to scald or bother you.
>
> Let sit for a mintue so as to let the heat penetrate, then, holding the
> print on the bottom of the tray (smooth bottom helps here) slightly
> "rough" the corner with your finger by pulling your index finger down
> over the pointed corner. In a few strokes, the backing ought to start to
> seperate.

That's very ingenious Jack... did you think that up, or learn it from a
student? (source of many a trick, needless to say). But now, since you
know so much, how about a few words on WHY? Does the peeled skin work
better in contact than the full RC paper? Perhaps for a hand-coated
process it does -- where times could be quite long. But isn't that skin
awfully curly, so that it's a problem to get to lay flat? I've never done
this trick, as noted, but any peeling with fibre paper does curl
seriously.

However, I did a lot of contacting of doubleweight fibre prints to make
enlarged negatives... there times are about 25 seconds at f 5.6, so time
isn't a problem... To get good enough contact though (without peeling) I
had to use a vacuum easel... the NOISE is heinous.

cheers,

Judy