RE: carbon transfer from plexi question

Tom Hawkins (tomehawk@ix.netcom.com)
Sun, 07 Jun 1998 17:17:29 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandy King [mailto:sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu]
Sent: Saturday, June 06, 1998 8:23 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
Subject: Re: carbon transfer from plexi question

I am quite surprised that your previous transfers from plexi to papers with
a 3% size (irrespective as to hardener) were successful. You really need a
fairly thick layer of gelatin to make this kind of transfer, in the 8-12%
range.

If you want to make a tranfer from plexi onto your existing paper (7% size,
hardened in Glyoxal) you will need to use a gelatin mounting adhesive. This
is nothing but a 3-5% gelatin solution, of which you pour about 10-15 ml
(warm) on the center of the final support paper. Then combine the plexi and
final support and squeegee thoroughly. This will give you a complete
transfer with no loss of highlight detail.

Sandy King

Sandy,

Thanks for the information. Your suggested 'fix' was successful.

I will use your sizing suggestions for my next printing session.

Tom Hawkins