Re: Vandyke Variables

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 13:05:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Cor Breukel wrote:
> ...I did combined VDB and Cyanotype: first VDB and than Cyanotype, not on
> top of each other, worked perfect...
>

> > Trish

The odds are, and generally speaking, that cyanotype on top of VDB would
bleach it out. The cyanotype formula contains potassium ferricyanide which
is a silver bleach. If you want to try it, start with a VERY overprinted
VDB and wash your cyanotype in a LOT of water, so the ferricyanide coming
off is diluted...

Even so, however, I've seen bleaching action *continue* in the dry print.
If you want just a blue VDB, you could simply blue tone it using the A & B
solutions of the cyanotype emulsion (formula page 42 Post-Factory #1, same
one as for toning silver gelatin prints).

Vandyke brown over cyanotype is in my experience much safer and more
doable...

Judy