Re: afterthought/Anderson's gum-pigment -Forwarded

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 21:52:56 -0400

Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com wrote:

> ... What do you do for a living? Do you do it for
> free? As far as "Honestly searching to better their skills" as yopu put it,
> how do you learn? I guess you never read any of those horrid, profit
> mongering privaterers that write books for money, huh?

Bob,

I photograph, putting the results into platinum palladium prints and
folding screens. Most of the time I am studying the interrelationships
of culture and environmental space. How one has an effect on the
other. If someone likes my work they might buy it; if they don't like
it, I'm sure they most likely won't buy it. That's their decision, not
mine. If I had an agent, they might do differently.

For new PtPd work, my current flat fee is $100.00 for a 4x5, $200.00 for
an 8x10, $300.00 for an 8x10 on fabric, $400.00 for a 7x9 to 10x13 from
an enlarged negative. For older work or images that have sold several,
I double the price, or even raise it higher. (I've sold 4x5s at
$500.00) Folding screens tend to be limited to one-of-a-kind and have
been priced from about $750.000 to $4,500.00

Also, I will impart my knowledge or skill involving PtPd photography to
anyone with the desire, drive, sincereness, and $45.00 per hour
(includes materials and time).

I am intensely involved with environmental protection issues in the
Hillsborough River watershed and this general area of west central
Florida. I have been appointed (by a County Commissioner) to the
advisory committee to the county Environmental Protection Commission for
more than four years. I attend many meetings of the environmental
agencies, read a lot of agency information, respond to a lot of
information, am involved with lots of rulemaking on water related
issues, and get involved in permitting reviews. I helped design the
alternative regulatory process of Ecosystem Team Permitting (ETP) which
has been approved by the Florida Legislature. ETP basically coordinates
the numerous agencies involved, expedites the review process, provides
interactive public involvement even before the permit application is
made and throughout the process, and requires that a Net Ecosystem
Benefit provide a substantially better environmental outcome than the
traditional regulatory process without violating any of the standards.
ETP is a voluntary alternative that provides for a definite win-win
situation. Bugs are still being worked out, but the process is evolving
fine and will most likely go on to provide a new generation of
regulatory protection at the federal level. Also, I might add that it
is rumored that I am feared by the phosphate mining companies. Some say
that every time I talk to an agency, it costs the mining companies. I
wouldn't say that's exactly true. Oh, and all of this is done
volunteer. I am not a consultant, nor do I represent anyone, nor do I
receive any compensation for this other than knowing that some benefit
may come to the native plants and wildlife.

I manage to volunteer at the Florida Aquarium at least once a week.
Usually I am helping with animal husbandry stuff and sometimes as an
interpretive guide for the guests. Typically I can be found underwater
in an exhibit cleaning. I'm usually underwater on a hookah rig for 4 to
5 hours. My record is 6 hours 30 minutes. Do not fret for this is
usually at a depth of only 3 to 5 feet. One thing I look forward to in
Massachusetts is diving open water again; the logistics have not been
right for that in the Tampa area.

Also, Rosemary and I have been training a service dog for Canine
Companions For Independence. We've been training Tammy II since
November and will most likely have her until February 1999, at which
time she will enter advanced training then work for someone to help
overcome some disability. She is basically with one of us at most all
times to achieve proper socialization. This is completely volunteer
too, although tax deductible.

So I guess that answers your first two questions as to what I do for a
living and if I do it for free.

I learn mainly from experience. Some of that experience is my own, some
of it is from others in the way of teaching, some of it is from others
in the way of sharing ideas.

I have read some of those books by the "monger profiteers" and have
wasted time attempting futile procedures. Although it might be argued
that some of that reading had entertainment value. It has tainted my
desire to seek knowledge of the PtPd craft from just any publication.
My first cut or edit is to determine if I find something of value in the
work that one does. If I do, I will pursue things from there. That is
the way I do things. You got a problem with that?

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/