Re: Sudre mordancage Paris exhibition

Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Tue, 09 Jun 1998 11:20:57 +0000

At 11:57 AM 6/9/98 -0400, Judy Seigel wrote:

>Oh NOW I wish I were going to Paris this summer... aiyyy!!! no way
>possible, but for those for whom it is feasible, I *urge* you to see this
>work... Sudre is an inspiration, strangely unknown in this country and/or
>by younger generations I find... (Probably they're too Stieglitzed-out.)
>Whatever, I treasure a little book of the crystalizations I stumbled
>across years ago ... tho I never saw or heard of any other ... Perhaps
>there's a possibility of replay and/or publication in the year of Paris
>2001 ??
>
>Judy

Greetings-

As long as the topic is raised, I would like to reiterate my earlier
message regarding the alt-photo exhibition at The White Elephant Gallery in
Boston.

There are in this show a selection of incredible mordancage prints by
Pierre-Louis Martin. He lives in the Loire, and studied with Sudre. With
Sudre's passing he is, according to my sources in France, the current
reference in mordancage. They are beautiful and fascinating prints. I
recommend a visit if you are anywhere near Boston.

In fact, the entire exhibition is world class. A real feast!

Jonathan Bailey