Re: Independent Variables in Gum Printing

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 09 Jun 1998 12:29:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-06-09 10:26:39 EDT, FotoDave@aol.com writes:
>
> ....thus affecting the viscosity of the mix (which affect
> the pigment suspension), and the viscosity will in turn also affect the
> thickness of the coating.

Dave, you are so right -- but you remind me of something I forgot when
listing variables: how you put the emulsion on the paper! I've had the
supreme frustration of seeing a 21-step develop perfectly, while the print
next to it from the same emulsion applied at the same time refused to
clear, absolutely blotch city. After cursing the heavens and my stars, I
finally made some sense of it -- I was grinding the emulsion too strongly
into the paper: the 21-step area, on the other hand, I'd just daubed on
lightly.

Notice on page 40 of P-F issue #1, a repro of two 21-steps handled
identically, except that "emulsion was applied freely on the strip at
left; just enough to cover was eked out on the strip at right..." Big
difference....

Too many variables in gum printing, you say? Think of trying to figure
out the right way to cut a piece of paper for a platinum print. ;- )

Judy