Re: Anderson's "gum-pigment ratio test" (fwd)

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 09 Jun 1998 12:54:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Wayde Allen wrote:

> Judy
>
> Your comment about keeping things as simple as possible is correct. This

Oops Wayde, I think that's Occam's razor not me. "Simple as possible" was
what I was saying isn't true. That's Occam's Razor "wisdom" ... and almost
by definition wrong... What I meant, even if I didn't say so explicitly,
was ways to keep the testing from reaching the point of diminishing
returns.

I do like testing (to quote myself: a test never fails, it ALWAYS gives
you information), but within reason... let it be meaningful and
productive, not ad infinitum... as Dave notes when he outlines 512
possible variables. And *still* you might feel frisky that day & press
harder on the brush & there go the 512... (There *is* no absolute control,
anywhere.)

Judy