Re: APIS 99

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:05:59 -0600

Just to remind everyone that APIS Santa Fe will be July 7,8,9,10 1999.
That's 1999, so don't get too antsy just yet.

I will be heading off to Europe in July to go to the non-existant APIS in
Oporto. Paid my dues, and got my airfare, and oops... no APIS. Oh well,
Bostick and I have got a nice trip planned and we'll be staying in various
places with some of the really nice folks I met in Bath last year, so it
not a big loss after all. A villa in Florence? I can't believe it.

After the European trip, work will begin in earnest for detailed planning
of the event here in Santa Fe. Reservations will begin to be taken in
September and folks on the list will be given priority as there is only
going to be 200 reservations and we expect them to go fast. We got over 50
folks from out of town to the last Platypus Party which is a good indicator
of the kinds of interest.

We have 100 beds, some double some private room reserved and we can up that
if need be. The cost will be in the $25.00 to $50.00 whether private of
semiprivate, and whether meals in the school cafeteria are added in.

And you can be sure that some of Karl Koenig's gumoils will be availailable
for looking at too!

--Dick Sullivan

At 08:33 PM 6/11/98 +0000, Peter Marshall wrote:
>> I have some hope that there will be another APIS now that Portugal has
>> failed. It does look as though Dick Sullivan is going to have it
>> planned
>> well and it will be held next year in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It sounds
>> like
>> he will have the College of Santa Fe virtually roped off for our
>> edification, dorming, and delectation.
>
>There is another APIS already - at Bath again (and Lacock) in three weeks

>or so - July 4/6 to replace the one in Portugal. Sounds as if it is going
>to be as good as the last one too.
>
>Gordon posted these details a few weeks back but I will repeat them in
>case anyone else has missed them:
>Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 06:33:36 -0400
>From: TERRY KING <KINGNAPOLEONPHOTO@compuserve.com>
>Subject: APIS Symposium and Exhibition
>
>ALTERNATIVE PHOTOGRAPHY: EXHIBITION AND INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM
>
>Following the very successful International Symposium on Alternative
>Photography held at Bath last year, there will a further APIS at Bath on
>4/5 July* and an associated exhibition with the title
>' A Celebration of Alternative Photography'
>
>Further International Symposia and associated exhibitions are scheduled
>for
>1999 in Santa Fe and for 2000 in Cologne.
>
>1. EXHIBITION 'A Celebration of Alternative Photography'
>
>There will be an exhibition in the Long Gallery at the RPS in Bath from 16
>June until 12 July 1996.
>
>The purpose of the exhibition will be to demonstrate the finest work in
>various alternative processes by modern photographers and printers of the
>highest international standards. The objective will be to show what can be
>achieved to inspire others to higher standards.
>
>The exhibition will include:
>
> platinum prints from Horst, Izu and Don McCullin .
> four colour carbon prints from Gerard Aniere
> Ultrastable (Permaprint ) prints by Adam Lowe
> diazo sensitised four colour carbon prints by Dunstan Pereira
> bromoils by Maija McDougal and Chris Fox
> gravures from Hugh Stoneman, Jean-Daniel Lemoines and Pierre
>Brochet (To be confirmed )
> salt prints from Bill Rowlinson
> fine prints from computer printers
> Fressons, modern four colour and Echagues
> Iris prints
> 20 x 24 polaroid/platinum prints by Alistair Laidlaw
> photoceramics from Galina Manikova
> Dye Transfers
> Gum prints, cyanotypes and so on by Terry King, and others..
>
>The exhibition will be presented in cooperation with Hamiltons, The
>Special
>Photographers Company and Metro.
>
>There will be a comparison between Frederick Evans' platinum print of 'A
>Sea of Steps', a modern version from the same neg and a modern print of
>the same subject scanned from a modern negative and printed onto
>watercolour paper using a commonly available computer printer.
>
>In comparison with these prints here will be a number of Secession prints,
> [...]

Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe
NM 87506
505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857