Re: New chrysotypes

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 21:55:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, John Rudiak wrote:

> > To tell the truth, I am a complete beginner in Alt processes, and am just
> > beginning in these days to do my first printing (Ziatype process). But I
> > have seen Mike Ware's chrysotypes on his web site and yours on the B&S
> > page, and got fascinated by the colours (and the pictures), even seeing
> > them only on a monitor.
> > As soon as I have some experience, I want to try printing chrysotypes. I
> > have absolutely no idea how much time will pass until then, so.
> > I shall, however, ask you questions again once i get practical in this
> > process.

Funny you should mention chrysotype today: I had a visitor this morning
from "the list," and took out a box of mixed stuff from the list to show
him -- postcards, announcements, catalogs, test strips, pages from a
calendar, etc., as well as several actual real original prints. Two
beautiful 4x5 chrysotypes from Mike were among these.. Equally amazing, at
least to my eye, was his sheet of chrysotype test strips showing the color
range by density -- the shadows deep blue black, the highlights bright
rosy pink, lavender inbetween.

The visitor, a platinum printer, was *definitely* intrigued. I can't
guarantee his future chrysotypy, but wouldn't rule it out...

> > Only one thing: what you describe sounds pretty expensive, or am I wrong
> > here? Could you tell me the price to expect for a 8x10 print (just for my
> > calculations)?
> > Lukas
>
> The final coating solution contains 0.15M gold. If you put 2ml on an
> 8X10, it has 0.118 grams of the gold chloride. An ounce of gold
> chloride (It sure depends on where you buy it and how much of it) from a
> chemical supply house is about $900. ( I am posting this to the list in
> case anyone out there has a good source of gold chloride, B&S only
> lists a 5% soln which is not strong enough) 0.15 divided by 28 times
> $900 equals $4.92 per 8X10 print, for the gold. While this is certainly
> not cheap, when compared to what a custom 8X10 cibachrome would cost if
> you had a decent lab make one for you, it is a bargain. (especially
> since it won't look like a plastic place mat)

Page 47, section 10, of Post-Factory lists sources of Precious Metals,
several of which are said to be especially good for larger purchases --
the more you buy the lower the price. For instance, Engelhard Co
(800/336-8559, ext. 4) has been recommended as "best buy," So has First
Reaction, 603/929-3583 ... Goldsmith 847/869-7800, was said on this list
to be "cheapest I've ever seen" (the name is right ;- ).

Whether or not that will help Lukas in Germany ... ???

cheers,

Judy