Re: 65% gold

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 16:34:23 -0600

Jonathan Bailey wrote:

> Greetings-
>
> >Judy Seigel wrote:
> >In any event, the price listed is: 1 gram $85, 5 grams $300.
>
> How is this possible? My catalogues suggest that one gram of 1% gold
> ranges in dollars from the high 20's through the high 30's.
>
> If the above is 65% gold, wouldn't it make sense for those of us who use 1%
> gold to purchase it in this way and dilute it down to 1% ????
>
> I'm no chemist, nor much of a mathmetician, so perhaps I have not grasped
> something essential.
>
> Jon Bailey

Judy didn't say the gold was in solution. She reported on GoldIII
Chloride, which happens to contain 65% gold. That is 65% of the
molecules weight is composed of gold. This is moot, as this is not the
gold we want. Gold trichloride is AuCl3.2H2O. We need Gold
Trichloride, acid form, or Chloroauric acid, HAuCl4.3H2O. Be careful to
get the right stuff.

John

--
Alchemy Printmaking & Photography