You may have already won $100 !!!

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 02:17:12 -0400

At 5:52 PM -0300 98/06/09, Richard Sullivan wrote:
>Klaus,
>
>Your sentiments are well taken, but some of us believe the list has been
>damaged and are looking for ways to fix it. Ignoring the problem won't make
>it go away.
>
>By pointing out what I thought was an inherent unfairness in punishing
>Terry for something that occured out of sight and unknown to us little guys
>here on the list, I was *challenged* to leave and start my own list -- and
>with Terry no less.
----------

What have we got here? Dick inadvertendly forgot his "in my interpretation"
before writing "I was *challenged* to leave and start my own list"...

A few days ago he said he wanted Terry back on this list (he even cc'd his
message to him) and now he seems offended by the possibility of being
associated with him... Go figure...

Quoting from his previous messages:

>The rest of us should not allow a precious *few* in the know to make these
>judgements...

I'm afraid that one of the precious *few* happens to be the listowner. Now
again, if you (or your buddies) have your own list, you are the listowner
and you are free of all that perceived "tyranny".

>I am now ignoring any private messages concerning this matter. I think this
>is at the root of the problem. The list will not survive unless this issue
>is resolved or everyone who disagrees with the decisions made by the power
>people are kicked off.

Dick: Hello? You want to be kicked off for the list to survive? I don't
think it's necessary.

The decision took place a few weeks ago. It's been accepted by most people
on this list. Gord could confirm, 3 out of 525 wanted Terry *on* the list.
The issue is close, period. Didn't you read the news? Only one had to be
kicked off. That's it. Everybody else is welcome.

As far as I can tell, the people who disagree with Gord's decision belong
to one of three groups.

1-They are new to the list and don't know what happened.
2-They've been around for a while but did not follow what happened.
3-No. 2 above, plus the fact that their thick skin has desensitized them to
a point where they can't understand what happened to one of our most
respected colleagues (and others) when she was attacked by Terry to a point
where she simply had to abandon the list.

Several solutions have been proposed to fix the list's recent problems but
I don't think they will work. This reminds me of the city where I live when
they tried to get rid of skateboarders in the downtown area. Regulations
did not work. They had to give them their OWN TURF. Now everybody is happy.

We need another list for Terry-loving fans (not to mention the "freedom-of-
expression-at-all-cost-fans). That is, besides our existing Alt-photo list,
of course. Two universities have offered me my own list but I quickly
learned that this privilege was not transferrable for some reason...
However, I'm told that there is such a thing as commercial listservs that
one can rent for about $200 a year. I only have scant info on those so I
would appreciate those knowledgeable in this field to contact me offlist.

Since I'm the type who likes to put his money where his mouth is, and since
the welfare of this list is important to the Alt-photo world, I am willing
to make a donation of $100 to the Terry fans, *if* they create their own
list and leave us alone. They can still be on this list, but no whining
about Terry not being here please... I think this is a small price to pay
to achieve peace on this list. Others, especially those who keep
advertising commercial workshops and supplies, should chip in as well.

Attached to this offer are two conditions:

1-Gord's final decisions should never be challenged, and

2-Gord himself (the current listowner) should remove for a reasonable
period (3 months or more) anybody who challenges his authority on this
issue.

I suggest a vote on my proposal. Those in favor should send a YES vote
directly to Gord. Those NOT in favor should send a NO vote to Gord:

<holtslander@sask.usask.ca>

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada