Re: Interactivity and process -Forwarded

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:41:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com wrote:

> >>Would anyone care to say whether we could justifiably call this process
> ALT photo? If you can, then you have freed yourself from the divisions
> which separate photographers from painters.
>
> Emphatically No. First of all, ALT means Alternative, and it pertains to
> other than silver as far as this list goes. Second, Seeing is not a
> . . .
> everyone's part. As far as a division between painting and photography, I
> think that exists already. By the way, why do you believe that painters and
> photographers want to be joined, anyway?

Bob,

The creation of an image, though through differing means, joins the two
art forms. Alternative photography in my mind simply means using tools beyond
straight silver printing to creat an image.

Put the shoe on the other foot, where does your definition leave the
painters that non photographically creat paintings which look like
straight silver photographs? Are they demented painters or alterative
photographers?

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA