Re: Water filtration

Russell Dodd (russ@colortechnology.com)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:18:34 +0000

Judy Seigel wrote:

> But anyway Russ, what do you use a gallon a day for? Something we should
> know? I did try distilled water (store bought) in a few photo processes
> that normally use tap water -- NOT an improvement. In a couple it was
> decidedly worse, including first wash water for VDB... But then my tap
> water is sweet, clear, delicious eau de New York City...

In Portland OR, the humidity is comfortable but the underground water forcing
its way through my basement walls is the why the dehumidifier is a necessity.
Water for photography is just a by-product. The domestic water supply is is
fine until it hits the rusting iron pipes in the house so I avoid using it for
mixing chemicals or drinking without filtration. Until I repair or replace my
house I can rationalize use of this water source. Due to midnight urges to work
in the darkroom when the distilled water store is closed I resort to this water
source (procrastination and poor planning are a factor).

The primary use is for photogravure i.e. sensitizing the tissue, degreasing and
brightening the copper (sodium hydroxide & acetic acid) and diluting the ferric
chloride etch. All of the silver based photographic processes leading up to the
copper etching are done in the high tech digital environment where I work
(color separations and digital pre-press services). I like to think of it as a
convergence of the 19th and 21st centuries and skipping the the 20th (with the
exception of my dehumidifier).

Russ