Re: sludge in my Rollo Pyro

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 20:34:53 -0400

At 05:42 PM 98/06/17 -0600, jamiehy wrote:
>Thanks for the help- I won't worry about it. am I to understand that the
>precipitate is sodium metaborate? Jamie

It's probably calcium borate if you were using tap water. (Calcium borate
is almost insoluble in water, so it precipitates.) A way to prevent this
would be to add a gram of EDTA (any of the sodium salts is OK) per liter;
this will sequester the calcium in the tap water and prevent it from
interacting with the metaborate. Or use distilled water for making up the
solution.

<<sil>>
<silh@iag.net>
<webmaster@psa-photo.org>