Re: Gift Idea w/ Alt. Photo / Photoceramic??? -Forwarded

Lynn & Patrick Hilferty (philferty@EARTHLINK.NET)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 21:01:34 -0700

You could subsitute EZ-Stroke underglazes for the the dry glaze instead.
The possible advantage is that you avoid glaze sag. Also, the EZ-Strokes
are transparent and if you screw with them long enough, you might get a
continious tone. I used the Hunt/Speedball silkscreen kit for my
dichromate/emulsion source and thinned it all down with glycerin to get the
mix to a proper consistancy.

Patrick

At 3:24 PM -0600 6/17/98, Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com wrote:
>>>How does it work in principle (I
>have read a little in the past but can't remembre any detail)? Do you mix
>the
>glaze with dichromate and process as in gum and then fire it? Or do you
>make a
>negative version of gum, process, and then paint the glaze on and fire it?
>
>Yes, basically...your assumption is mostly correct. The basic process is as
>follows: A Dichromate is added to an emulsion. I use a polymer / acrylic
>based emulsion sold in crafts and screen print supply stores. I then add
>dry glaze to the mixture and stir until blended. A thin coating is applied
>to the ceramic surface, dried and exposed by contact printing. The
>developer is water - tap works well. After it dries, it is fired.
>
>WARNING: If you fire the piece yourself, make sure the kiln vents outside.
>The dichromate fumes given off can cause problems.
>
>RM

Patrick Hilferty
Belmont, CA 94002
E-Mail:<Mailto:philferty@earthlink.net>
Web Page: http://home.earthlink.net/~philferty/
For voice, fax, data and busy signals: (650) 610-0850