Re: interactivity and process

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 20:34:42 -0400

dkern@juno.com wrote:
> Why must the miscommunication be ascribed to any "shortcomings of our
> society?" Rather, we should make allowances for the ambiguity of language
> (visual included). It is not a shortcoming of language that it fails to
> describe precisely; instead, that is where it's richness lies--no
> ambiguity, no poetry.

BUT YOU MISSED THE POINT. Miscommunication is not the shortcoming. The
actions to manipulate for ones personal gain (at the expense of others),
prejudicially exclude that which one does not wish to understand, and
exuberantly proclaim ones omnipotence are the shortcomings.

Bob Maxey wrote:
> Lots of truth in this. a Photograph captures a moment and is not filtered
> through the eyes of the photographer. When taking legal photographs, I have
> seen ample opportunities to change the photograph to support either side of
> the argument.

Yes, and this is a choice of the photographer. To be honest or
deceitful; to be objective or subjective; to use black & white or color;
etc., etc., etc. And yes, many a time the photograph will tell
something beyond the control of the photographer.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/