RE: Cyanotype on Fabric

Herold Faulkner (faulkner@redshift.com)
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:32:47 -0700

In years past I would use INKO DYE and expose through a negative just like
alt-photo. I don't know if it is still available but it was a silkscreen
(possibly also batik) dye that needed to be cured by heat or UV light before
it was fast.. . Expose, wash, dry, and voila instant (well almost)
photograph (continuous tone!) on the fabric of your choice (provided of
course the dye would adhere to the fabric.) It sinks in and retains the
flexibility of the cloth. Available in many (4 or 5 anyway) colors. Check
your local silk screen supplier for availability or possible substitution.

Hal

-----Original Message-----
From: FotoDave@aol.com [mailto:FotoDave@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 1998 10:20 PM
To: jseigel@panix.com
Cc: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
Subject: Cyanotype on Fabric

In a message dated 98-06-18 23:19:51 EDT, jseigel@panix.com writes:

<< Dave, how about a nice T-shirt with a cyanotype on it. Or a dozen sheets
of stationery / notepaper with a design or motif in gum. Or just a little
print in a little frame. Or cyanotype a pillowcase and stuff a pillow
into it, a person can always use another sofa pillow.

I like the idea of cyanotype on fabric. The gift is for someone (or a few
people) who just graduated from the University of Michigan. The school color
is yellow (or maize) and blue, so I can use the cyanotype blue for image and
then use yellow fabric paint for other part of the design.

Will the cyanotype image washed out when one washes the pillowcase? Does one
size the fabric? How does one keep the fabric flat whien printing? I should
start searching books and archive, but any input would be appreciated as I
am
running out of time (the graduates will leave here in about 3 weeks).

TIA!

Dave