Re: Cyanotype on Fabric (and Gift Idea)

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 13:19:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-06-19 10:59:47 EDT, stwang@CLEMSON.EDU writes:
>
> << Yes, Inko Dyes are definitely more suitable for printing on pillow cases
> than cyanotype. I believe the dyes are readily available in California. >>

I've been waiting for someone to come on with the *problem* with inkodyes,
which I read in the early books (& the reason they're not more prevalent)
but can't remember-- not archival???

For the record, cyanotype is ferric ammonium citrate with potassium
ferricyanide. You make about a quart for 75 cents. It takes very well on a
100% cotton (or silk, or linen) fabric, although some of the new cottons
are resin coated, and it doesn't take well on them.

Wash the fabric first to get the starch or size or whatever out of it,
dry, then just saturate with the emulsion by dipping, or brushing, and
hang in the dark to dry. Exposure times are probably comparable to times
on paper.

Laundering depends... hand washing with mild soap seems fine. But
laundry soaps with borax or washing soda act as cyanotype bleaches.

However, Dave, your plan of attaching a picture to an object sounds
excellent, good idea, you may start a trend.

Judy