Re: Kallitypes - Was V.D. variables

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 23:43:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Richard Sullivan wrote:

> Judy says:
>
> >Another time I added the last ingredient to a kallitype formula (with the
> >silver already in it, dissolved) that *instantly* precipitated out the
> >silver -- turning the solution all cloudy white, refusing to re-
> >"dissolve."
>

> That is silver oxalate and is due to free oxalic acid in the ferric
> oxalate. A big bugaboo with liquid grades of FO as the liquid manufacturing
> process will almost guarantee some extra oxalic acid.

It was ferric oxalate that had been recently mixed from Bostick and
Sullivan powder.

==================
>CUT
> They partially faded, and were thrown away. (Unlikely as people don't throw
> away partially faded albumens or any other kind of print.
>
> They were properly labeled, partially faded, and still exist. (seems to be
> a nonexistent happenstance.)

cut=======

I would not use kallitype again until I found out what happened to one I
made for John Dugdale 3 or 4 years ago... I was doing kallitype & printed
one of his negatives as a neighborly demo-- procedure as usual. He took it
home & rolled it up or whatever, and it dropped down behind something,
where it rested until it turned up again, recently. It had distinct
stripes of fading across it, regular bands and lines across the center. I
don't have a clue what caused it or how, haven't seen it in my own,
perhaps something in the resting place, but..... it did take away my
appetite for kallitype.

I told John to throw it away....

Judy