Re: Gum Printing/Observations on Archives

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 22:26:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, katharine thayer wrote:
> I've never seen a gum print other than the ones I've made myself, so I
> have no basis of comparison, but I'm getting the look I'm after and I

Hi Katherine -- I had much the same experience at first. There just didn't
seem to be many around, for a long time anyway...

> I was surprised to read that Rives BFK is the paper of choice for most
> people, because I have had nothing but unsatisfactory results from it.
> Even with heavy sizing and very diluted pigment, I always get pigment
> stain on BFK. (Besides, it has a coarse texture I don't favor.)

Actually, not everyone does like BFK, although around here, with our
water, and the gums, & gelatin we use, it's usually excellent. But
definitely not with *every* gelatin or paint or gum.

What gum arabic do you use?

I agree about the texture, by the way, which is why I rarely use it, but
if you like the texture and your ingredients are compatible, it seems to
be the classic all-purpose for a lot of printers (and the one I advise for
students, some of whom never leave it).

> I was also surprised to read that lamp black is considered an impossible
> pigment. I had trouble with it at first, but after I rolled up my
> sleeves and did the pigment test in Keepers of the Light (which test was

Which make of "lamp black"? If that was me who said that, I take it all
back. Further experience showed that it depends as much (maybe more) on
the brand as the "color."

> roundly disparaged in one posting I read) I found the right mix to use
> and have been happy with it ever since.

So tell us your magic numbers !

> My last observation is that gum printing is a very idiosyncratic
> process, and that there aren't any definitive answers. We can suggest
> what works for us, but that doesn't mean it's going to work for the
> other person, with his particular combination of climate, paper, choice
> of sizing, negative, exposure source, pigment brand, gum source, the
> look he wants to achieve...

Or she, either. I absolutely agree... Who could not?

> for me, is its unpredictability and resistance to ideology.

Not to mention the challenge...

> This is the first time I've ever posted to a mailing list, so don't beat
> me up if I get it wrong.

But as you describe, in gum there's as much "finding" as principle. Who
could say your findings are "wrong"? Though I can't resist adding re your
success with that Anderson gum-pigment ratio test from Keepers of Light
.... even a stopped clock is right twice a day! I'd be willing to bet
you just lucked out... ;- )

cheers

Judy