Re: Carbon Was: Re: Collotype

S. Carl King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 23:03:34 -0400 (EDT)

Klaus Pollmeier wrote:

>I would be interested to hear where and when you got it and what type it
>was. The Hanfstaengl papers #19 (violet black) and #20 (olive black)
>coated in 1991/1992 still are in good condition. I don't have a fog test
>at hand but if sensitized and used carefully they show no visible fog
>(certainly less than .30)
>
>Before the late 80s however, Hanfstaengl didn't store their papers in
>plastic envelopes (s. th. I recommended to them because I also noticed
>fogging with some colours). Esp. the ymc set was a catastrophe because
>the magenta pigment hardened the gelatin over time. The remaining rolls
>of new ymc material (coated on polyester) however are stored deep frozen
>in plastic bags since then. As I am no longer interested in full colour
>work, I'd be willing to give these tissues (??) away at a low price.
>Anybody interested should contact me offlist.

The Hanfstaengl tissues which I mentioned were originally supplied to
individuals through Dr.Robert Green of Fort Wayne, Indiana. The samples I
worked with (1992-95) would all have been manufactured prior to 1990, or so
I believe. I am certain that storing the tissue in plastic envelopes (and
freezing) will prolong its life, but I wonder by how long. Certainly not
indefinitely. I recently tested some of my own tissues which had been
stored in sealed plastic bags in the freezer since 1990. The gelatin had
hardened to such an extent that the tissue was useless for making prints.

Sandy King