Re: Vandyke Variables

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 01:02:53 -0400

At 11:19 PM -0400 98/06/18, Judy Seigel wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Sam Wang wrote:
>> .... My friend Bob Routh
>> says that he is convinced that the solution is not light sensitive, and he
>> even puts the clear bottle out in bright sun to precipitate whatever silver
>> that will settle to the bottom, which allows him to filter it out! He's
>> been printing for decades as well.
>
>No need to speculate, test. Here's how Mike Ware tested gum emulsion,
>which every book in the known universe says is not light sensitive when
>wet. He put a sheet of saran wrap (or whatever they call saran wrap in
>Buxton) between the negative and the wet emulsion and exposed. It was
>light sensitive.

Looks like Mike Ware has read some of my books. Wet gum printing was
described in Poitevin's original French patent. The Autotype Co. used to
market Wet carbon materials. The process is described in my first carbon
book of 1982. Darryl Jones, of Indianapolis, with whom I taught carbon at
the Maine Photo Workshop, used the wet carbon process extensively in the
70s.

Whatever happened to Darryl?

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA