Re : oft asked query

Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:42:06 -0700

<x-html><HTML>
Bob Maxey asked recently :
<BR><I>Isn't digital photography an ALT process? Me thinks it is</I><I></I>

<P>As I sit here, in the California fog, with 2nd latte @ hand, after feeding
the birds and watching the tal-less squirrel w/one front paw missing, and
after having my morning hot tub midst cries of chirping birds, and come
down to see this query … I have an answer to what <B>alt photo</B> is.

<P><U>anything which is made outside of convention derived from the origin.</U>

<P>Okay, what that gobbleygook mean? My intent is to say that the original
intent of photography was to present a clear and unbiased view of that
which is before one. If you do not mind the use of reality, well, that
is what is before one. No arguments for intended or unintended subjective
personal idiosyncratic viewpoints.

<P><B>All</B> other processes using the same light sensitivity of certain
chemical products outside of this could be called <B>alt</B>.
<BR>Alternative means : option, selection, choice, discretionl. Subsets
of this include meanings such as :
<BR>preference, election, selection, opportunity, preference and free-will.

<P>So, if you accept that the origin is the sum total of Talbot, Niepce,
Daguerre, Bayard et al, there have a multitude of light sensitive methods
to reproduce reality … including the cyanotype concocted by Herschel almost
at the same moment of conception.

<P>Too, there wqas a somewhat straightforward method of making these processes
consistent. Deviations from those conventions, to affect, or to produce
effective results, I would say are alternative.

<P>Not to stir the pot too much, but I remember being @ a talk by Beaumont
Newhall, when he drove up to the auditorium in Ansel Adams Cadillac w/the
"Zone V" license plates, and he admitted that Steiglitz was not a straight
photographer … and, for goodness sakes, if you look @ Ansel himself, that
buzzard may not have ever made anything but alt photos. You know what I
mean, push this, pull that, filter this, etc.

<P>The sum total is that gum, pl/pd, Zia, cyano, VeeDeeBee, what-have-you,
up to an including lensless photography such as clich&eacute; verre &amp;
photogram work is <B>all</B> alternative.
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Am I on the right track?

<P>Sincerely,
<BR>and through the fruitfull thoughts of fun,
<BR>I remain,

<P>Jack Fulton</HTML>

</x-html>From ???@??? Tue Jun 23 16:53:27 1998