heat drying (was sol A & B

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 23:02:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Tom Ferguson wrote:
> As an interesting aside, I found I got much deeper D-Max tones (on SOME
> papers) if I double coated AND avoided heat drying the paper. It is worth
> a try!

Sounds to me, Tom, like you're breaking your own rule: changing two
variables at a time.;- )

For what it's worth, the processes I've tested or seen tested -- Vandyke
brown, kallitype and cyanotype -- all do much better, that is, better
d-max, better tone separation, airdried without heat.

As I mentioned a while back, you don't need a size for VDB if you airdry
without heat, and there is much less random bronzing of the shadows.

Gum shouldn't be heat dried, period.

It's a tossup on double coating, we've found, depending on the paper. A
smooth shiny paper can actually lose density with a second coat, which
wipes off the first coat.

cheers,

Judy