heat drying (was sol A & B

Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 07:58:08 -0800

Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Tom Ferguson wrote:
>> As an interesting aside, I found I got much deeper D-Max tones (on SOME
>> papers) if I double coated AND avoided heat drying the paper. It is worth
>> a try!
>
>Sounds to me, Tom, like you're breaking your own rule: changing two
>variables at a time.;-)

Who me, tell others to "do as I say, not as I do"???? ME???

Actually this is an example of the dangers and opportunities of testing
(depending on your interests and personality). I tested air dried versus
heat dried single coat cyanotype on a few papers. Chose air dried on
Cranes Parchmont Wove. Then I tried double coated air dried on Parchmont
Wove, got what I wanted, and stopped testing.

This is an obviously incomplete test. Would heat dried double coat have
been better? How about double coating the other papers? How about trying
the other Cyanotype formulas on all these variables?

Thank goodness we have people who thrive on this sort of research. I find
it both necessary and dangerous. It can become a pursuit of it's own, then
I avoid creating new images (always the hard part).

Carl Weese wrote:
>In essentially the same climate as Judy, less than 100 miles inland, I
>find that simple air drying of any Pt/Pd variation is likely to be a
>disaster<SNIP>

Interesting, Platinum is the only thing I heat dry anymore. I hadn't
thought of why! It was just habit.

Tom