Re: gold toning (was heat drying (was sol A & B

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 12:47:32 -0600

Sam Wang wrote:

> >On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Darlington Media Group wrote:
> >> As for permanency, I have a number of Argyrotype prints that have faded
> >> quite badly along the edges despite taking the utmost care during
> >> processing and clearing! However, prints which have been toned with gold
> >> are as good as new
> >
> >But wouldn't gold-toning vandyke brown make it equally archival?
> >
> >Judy
>
> Good question! Perhaps it's not how the silver is formed, but whether it's
> covered by gold that determines its archival qualities.

My understanding of the Argyrotype is that it is still a silver based
print, like kallitype or Van Dyke, but the manner in with the silver
image is formed eliminates the production of relatively insoluble iron
compounds which are responsible for the reported short life of the
print.

Plating the silver with gold or platinum will certainly increase
longevity, but will of course change print color.

> Has anyone tested gold toning formulas to determine the differences between
> them? D-Max, colors, etc?
>
> Also, can someone please give me the formula for Nelson's Gold Toner? I
> made up a batch years ago which is just depleted, and can't find the
> formula it was based. Thanks.

Nelson's Gold Toner is the same as the Kodak toner formula T-21,
according to the Photo Lab Index I'm looking at. If you can't find the
recipe, contact me off-line, will be glad to send it.

John

--
Alchemy Printmaking & Photography
PO Box 633 Ranchos de Taos, NM   87557