Re: This is to be taken seriously.

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 04 Jan 1999 17:17:25 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 Grafist@aol.com wrote:

> Coming out of ultra lurking mode, briefly, on behalf of all list lurkers (if
> you see yourself as that) I note Luis wrote:-
> >The simple fact that your name appears regularly will make you a target, not
> matter what you say and no >matter how competent, or not, you are. It is
> apparently " normal" and is based on many people's inferiority >complex.
> Perhaps a trained psychologist / shrink on this list could explain this in
> greater details.
> >At any rate it's not to be taken seriously.
>
> WILL DOCTOR FRASIER CRANE PLEASE STEP UP TO THE MICROPHONE??

Ahem, who is Doctor Frasier Crane? Anyone like Doctor Ruth? But you don't
have to be Sigmund Freud to figure this one out. The diagnosis is
c-o-m-p-e-t-i-v-e-n-e-s-s. No one's likely to feel competetive with
a person sitting quietly on the sidelines.

But my thought for the day (or one of them) is that anyone who makes art
(besides the chemicals-to-the-brain in the small room factor) is by
definition an exhibitionist. William Mortensen does a lovely riff on this
in the introduction to his Pictorial Lighting book. Something to the
effect that whoever makes a photograph is showing off, saying, "look, I
did this."

And then the urge to WRITE about it, in PUBLIC no less, is further
incitement to riot. No wonder it draws fire... But look at it this way,
we could be ready to run for public office -- accustomed as we are to the
slings and arrows.

cheers,

Judy