Re: printing color separations (was CMY/K)

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Wed, 06 Jan 1999 14:12:05 +0000

Judy Seigel wrote:

> Because non-PostScript color printers (such as HP Deskjet, Canon
> Bubblejet, and Epson Color Stylus) generate their own black values, the
> Separation Setup settings have no effect on this type of output.
>
> End of quote.
>
> In other words, when a couple of weeks ago someone said you couldn't add
> density to separations because Photoshop would "balance" by subtracting
> color elsewhere, it didn't apply across the board. You can with inkjet,
> which was the original claim. I seem to recall also that the fellow had
> said he "turned the ink all the way up."

Since I made the statement that is ostensibly being contradicted here, I
would send you back to my earlier posts. My initial question was:
Knowing that non-postscript printers don't read the photoshop settings,
I'm curious what happens to the CMYK space as set up in Photoshop when
it encounters a non-postscript printer? Do the printer settings totally
override the Photoshop settings to set up a new CMYK color space? Or
what? Since no one answered my question, I did some experiments and
reported them here in a previous generation of this thread. One of my
findings was that when I changed settings in Photoshop, the changes were
reflected in the separations printed on my inkjet. So no, it's not true,
at least by my own empirical results, that the inkjet printer ignores
the photoshop settings.

I've laid out my reasons for choosing not to work in CMYK color space
earlier. Each to his own, but missing my whole point in an attempt to
prove me wrong seems a bit extreme.