Re: Monochrome reproduction Was: Re: Color, CMYK, etc.

John Erbes (erbesj@milwaukee.tec.wi.us)
Thu, 07 Jan 1999 16:53:07 +0000

>>Judy Seigel wrote:
>>
>>I read somewhere that the most beautiful monochrome photo reproduction
>>is with CMYK. I know that when I find one that looks especially luscious
>>and am able to look at it with a loupe, there is that "rosette" of 3 or
>>maybe 4 colors...

> Luis Nadeau wrote:
>The most impressive contemporary work might be the Swiss (screenless)
>Granolitho process, followed by various tritones and quadratones. These
>processes use modern, smooth offset papers. They can be beautiful.

Luis,
I remember seeing a monochrome advertising photo about two years ago in
Time or Newsweek on standard glossy magazine paper that was especially
luscious (to use Judy's appropriate adjectives) in terms of the richness
and warmth of the black. They stood distinctly apart from the rest of the
monochrome halftones ads. I did not look at it closely, but suspected at
the time that there was color in there somewhere. It wasn't the shadow or
hi-light detail or range of tones or grain that impressed me at the time,
it was the richness of the black. I'm wondering now if it was CYMK. What
do you think?

John Erbes
Milwaukee WI