Re: Monochrome reproduction Was: Re: Color, CMYK, etc.

Walt Goettman (wgoettman@mm.wyeth.com)
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 08:26:25 +1008

> Luis,
> I remember seeing a monochrome advertising photo about two years ago in
> Time or Newsweek on standard glossy magazine paper that was especially
> luscious (to use Judy's appropriate adjectives) in terms of the richness
> and warmth of the black. They stood distinctly apart from the rest of the
> monochrome halftones ads. I did not look at it closely, but suspected at
> the time that there was color in there somewhere. It wasn't the shadow or
> hi-light detail or range of tones or grain that impressed me at the time,
> it was the richness of the black. I'm wondering now if it was CYMK. What
> do you think?

This effect is typically a duotone where a second black plate of a
different black is used. The second plate usually has a lower
contrast. Note Lee Friedlanders "Nudes" were tri-tone and Richard
Benson has been using five and six colors but this is not cmyk.

Walt