Re: printing color separations (was CMY/K)

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 17:21:44 +0000

Valburg wrote:

> My understanding, as I've probably already mentioned to Katherine offlist,
> is that separations generated by photoshop go to the printer driver as
> sequential monochrome image files, so the printer driver has nothing
> whatsoever to do with the separation process. Isn't this the case?
>
> Mitch Valburg

This is getting too confusing. First, Judy says that Photoshop has
nothing to do with the separations as produced by the inkjet printer;
the printer makes its own separations. I say that in spite of what the
Photoshop manual says, I'm not sure that's the case, that my experiments
seem to show that the Photoshop settings and the printer driver interact
in some way. Now Mitch says that only the Photoshop settings apply and
the printer driver has nothing to do with it. Given that the Photoshop
manual says that inkjet printer drivers don't use the photoshop
separation settings, I think Mitch's theory is least likely of the
three, but this really isn't my problem, it's the problem of a person
who wants to print color separations from an inkjet printer, and I would
still send them to the inkjet list where there are a lot of folks who
know a lot more about this than probably any of us do.
Katharine Thayer