Re: negatives by inkjet

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 09:25:13 +0000

Judy Seigel wrote:

 although Luis is talking Iris print, which is
> beyond my area of non-expertise...

> On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Luis Nadeau wrote:
>

> ******* To get enough density on the acetate, all four colors had to be
> > used but the resulting negative was not a perfect neutral grey. He
> > found that by adding a certain tint he could make substantial contrast
> > adjustments on his pre-coated Palladio paper.*******
>
> > The results were excellent (though perhaps not absolutely superb) but
> > considering the prints were made "en masse" they were beautiful and
> > grainless even under a loupe.
> >
> > Now I'm waiting to see if this can be done on a $300 printer...

Actually I think this last sentence is more pertinent to our discussion
than the one Judy starred. Like Judy I don't know anything about the
Iris profile used in this job, but from Luis' description it sounds like
it was set up to create extra density on a transparency using the Iris
inks and the Iris hardware, meaning that the curves were created not
just to substitute density with black but to add to the density. That
doesn't mean that every inkjet profile works that way. That's my whole
point, that you *can* get CMY+K if you know what you're doing and create
a CMYK space that's especially finetuned that way, but the photoshop
settings aren't that sophisticated and substitute K for CMY densities
rather than adding K to CMY densities. My whole point.

Picture a stick figure lying prostrate on the ground with x's across its
eyes. I'm dead, okay, you don't need to shoot me again! Whatever you
say, Judy, I'll agree to it. Inkjet printers create their own
separations that add density to the file? sure, it must be true. The sky
is purple? Yep, you bet. Purple sky. Or chartreuse, if you like. Just
leave me alone, okay? Enough already! I think we've covered the ground.

My father has just had a stroke this week and we're trying to find a
nursing home for him. I've got a show opening March 6 and nothing is
going right and I don't know if I'm going to have a body of work ready
to send to the framers by the middle of February or not. I haven't had
heat in my house for 4 days, it's 45 degrees and I just tried to wash
dishes and the dishwashing liquid had turned into a thick gel from the
cold and wouldn't pour. It's hard to make gum prints wearing mittens and
I can't get the prints dry to go on to the next layer. And here's Judy
going nya nya nya, Luis says...

Give me a break. Over and out.