Re: Laser Light Photographics

Beakman (beakman@netcom.com)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:03:39 -0800 (PST)

> > I don't know what Bill has going on again in California, but when he was
> > in Massacusetts he did not own the equipment to make the Light Jet prints
> > -- he had them made by Evercolor in Worcester and his prices reflected this
> > "middle man" situation.
> >

> He and Evercolor were one at one point. For whatever reason, they separated.
>
> But I am not sure what you meant exactly when you said his prices reflected
> this "middle man" situation. It sounded to me that he would be more expensive
> because he had to pay Evercolor. But his prices were actually less expensive
> because they did things differently.
>
> Evercolor markets themselves to be color accurate in a sense that they make
> proof, send it to you, and you tell them the correction / modification that
> you want, and they make the final print after final approval. This might go
> one time or more than one time iteration.
>
> Bill markets himself as an experienced color printer, so he eliminates the
> proof. You would trust him as you would trust an experienced color printer in
> a custom photo lab. In that way, you save some proofing cost.
>
> But I should say that was about 2 years ago (I heard about this directly from
> Bill and the person owning/running Evercolor). I don't know the situation now.

Bill used to be in California where he started his "Evercolor" business
using the Evercolor process which is a pigment process somewhat analogous
to dye-transfer. John Warzonek bought out the company and moved it to
Worcester, MA. They were doing Evercolor prints, and more recently Light
Jet prints as well. They have had troubles with the Evercolor process so
they stopped accepting new orders, and instead are now pushing their
LightJet capabilities. Bill was a consultant to the new Evercolor
company and then set up his own company. However, Bill is NOT a service
bureau -- he does not own the printer. He has Evercolor do the printing
(or he did when he lived in Massachusetts).

IF you have a calibrated monitor to cut down on proofing (Evercolor is
happy to supply you with their monitor profile), and

IF you are reasonably comfortable working in the digital imaging world, and

IF you wouldn't trust someone else to make your proofing decisions for
you,

THEN, it is less expensive to just go directly to the printer, Evercolor
in this case.

Best regards,
David