Re: Continuous Tone? (was Re: Pt/Pd vs Gum???)

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:32:04 -0700

"S. Carl King" wrote:

> I wonder if silver negatives developed in staining developer like Pyro
> might not be considered continuous tone? The stain, which is greatest in
> areas of highest silver density, effectively fills in betwen the grain and
> such negatives give results which are smoother than those of non-staining
> developers.
>
> Sandy King

wouldn't you have to bleach out the silver so that only the stain remains? Also,
the way I understand it the stain is a by product of oxidation products from
development which would mean they are localized around the grain particles, so it
would be more like the chromogenic black and white films with dye clouds replacing
the grains. Has anyone looked at a bleached pyro developed neg under really high
magnification?

john