gum&longivety

Henk Thijs (henk.thijs@eurocontrol.be)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:25:11 +0000

Last year August I prepared some gum arabic in the usual way : arabic gum
powder with distilled water, a one night stand and then a few drops of
formaldehyde as finishing touch. First prints were okay, but after some weeks
 -I cannot exactly point out how many - nothing worked anymore. Pigment
clearing of the print was nearly impossible; less exposure, less pigment,
forced development....it was a frustrating exercise, nothing compared to the
halleluia after the first prints. The only thing I thought of at that time was
the change in humidity in my darkroom due to the winter: from above 80 to below
50. Last week I started again with tests and tried to eliminate step by step
the possible cause(s). By making new gum all problems were solved, but
still...I checked the 'old' solution, no mould, nothing, looks quite normal.
Question is : how long can a solution be trusted to be ok under normal
conditions -room temperature, brown bottle etc.
What about the Am.Dichromate in that sense, any chance that solutions in brown
bottles will change if not kept in the dark?
Thanks in advance,

Henk

--
  Henk    Thijs                 tel: +31-(0)43-3661249
  Eurocontrol Maastricht UAC    fax: +31-(0)43-3661300