Re: Continuous Tone? (was Re: Pt/Pd vs Gum???) (fwd)

FotoDave@aol.com
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:36:59 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/13/99 8:15:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
wallen@boulder.nist.gov writes:

> I could make an 4x5 LVT at 2080 dpi and make a 30x40 and it would look
> exactly like a print from a silver(dye based) Chrome. with your unaided
eye.

LVT is a continous-tone film recorder. Using the above example of about 8
times, the final print will have 2080/8 = 260 dpi, but this is 260 dots, each
one having different tones (not 260 lpi), and that is beautiful! But LVT
recorder costs A LOT!

That's one of the question I had too. If one wants to use the "continuous-
tone" aspect of the negative, shouldn't s/he simply use the output of a film
recorder (CRT based for cheaper output but smaller enlargement or LVT output
for big enlargement). Why use the "dotted" negatives but allow (or maybe
accept rather) that the dots will be soften?

Oh, but as I am typing this, I think I realize the reason. For film recorder
output, one has to do the enlargement which some want to eliminate in the
first place. The LVT recorder can give you the size you want, but it cost a
lot more.

Dave