Re: Enlarged Negatives

Hamish Stewart (Hamish.Sophie@wanadoo.fr)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 23:28:06 +0000

I used to use this method which provided good results. I enlarged the
original 6x6 neg onto 4x5 commercial film - 4127. This film is continous
tone and rather flat. I made rather flat, and slightly dark positives to
get all the detail in the neg and then enlarged the 4x5 onto 8x10 lith
film. The final results - single colour gum prints where excellent. Also
working in this way helps avoid some of the dust problems with making
small contact prints. These days I use lith film and make the positive
the same size as the final neg and the results - multiple gum prints are
good too. But dust is more of a problem. I am planning to return to the
earlier approach for my next body of work. I would recommend it. Though
making the positive the same size as the finished neg does make it easier
to make adjustments in contrast and so forth on the positive..

Cheers
Hamish

-

Hamish Stewart